Useful Lao phrases for Travelers
If you’re planning on visiting in Laos or any other country in the world, it’s very good to know the basic words and phrases of the language spoken there. As you know, Laotian language is a lot like Thai and people from both countries can understand each other quite easily. If you come to Laos from other countries, here’s a list of some travel phrases that are useful to know before immersing yourself in this Land of Million Elephants.
Basic Lao phrases for greeting
- Hello – Sa bai dee
- How are you? – Jao sabaidee baw?
- I’m fine– Khoy sa bai dee
- Thank you – Khop Jai or Khop Chai
- What’s your name? – Chao seu gnang?
- My name is… – Khoy seu…
- You’re welcome – Than nyinditonhab
- I’m pleased to meet you – Khoy dee chai lai thee dai phob chao
- Yes – Doi
- No – Baw
- Excuse me – Khaw Toot
- I don’t understand – Khoy Baw Khao Jai
- Good luck! – Sok Dee!
- Goodbye! – La Gon
- Have a nice day! – Mi van thidi
Essential Lao phrases to order food
- I would like… – Khoi yak…
- Not spicy or A little spicy – Baw Pet or Pet Noy Nung
- No sugar – Baw Sai Nam Tan
- I am vegetarian – Khaphachao vegetarian pen
- I am allergic – Khaphachao koedoakan aeph
- Water – Nam
- Beer – Bia Lao
- Bon appetite– Soen saeb
- Delicious – Sep
- The bill, please – Chèk bin, kalounaa
Laos phrase for getting around the area or taking a taxi
- I would like to go to… – Diak…
- Turn Left/ Turn Right – Leo Sai/ Leo Kua
- Go/ Stop – Pai/ Yuut
- I would like to rent … – Khaphachao tongkan thichahai seoa…
- Motorbike/ Car/ Bike – Lot chak/ Lot keng/ Lot thiip
Useful Laos phrase for shopping
- How much does this cost? – Laka tao dai?
- That’s expensive! – Phaeng lai lai
- Can you lower the price? – Lud dai baw?
For more information about Laos travel, feel free to contact us and we will be happy to welcome you!
☎ Tel: ++856 20 91 477 378
📧 Email: email@example.com